Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of the Town of Cottage City not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin.
This policy shall include, but limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training, including layoff and termination.
The Town of Cottage City is seeking a highly qualified, dynamic, detail-oriented financial professional to serve as a part-time Treasurer. The applicant will be responsible for the accounting and fiscal functions of the Town of Cottage City. The Treasurer will work closely with and under the direction of the Town Manager and will coordinate with the other department heads in monitoring areas of financial responsibility. The Treasurer will work with the Town Manager to oversee the town’s budget, investment activities, and audit.
JOB SUMMARY: Appointed by the Commission, the Town Treasurer performs a variety of specialized duties which require accuracy, proficiency, confidentiality, and independent judgment. The Treasurer provides control and oversight of town finances of the Town.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field is required. CPA certification a plus.
A minimum of five years’ experience in accounting or finance. Prior government experience, specifically, municipal government experience, is strongly preferred.
Proficiency in QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite is required, including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Must be bondable.
Successful candidate must be self-motivated, highly organized, able to perform multiple tasks concurrently and able to work independently and as part of a team.
The town reserves the right to consider any combination of relevant education and experience that demonstrates a candidate’s ability to successfully perform the duties of Town Treasurer.
The successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, credit check, drug screening and employment verification.
POSITION TYPE: Part-Time Consulting
SALARY: Depends on qualifications; targeted hiring range of $15,000/year.
WORK HOURS: Availability by phone and computer Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, with one regular monthly meeting, and additional after hour meetings as necessary.
CLOSING DATE: First review of applications will take place on May 31, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of applicable state and federal statutes and regulations.
• Knowledge of public accounting principles and procedures.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Ability to maintain official records and to prepare accurate reports.
• Ability to perform research and present findings in a clear, concise, and effective manner.
• Process transfers between the town’s bank accounts as needed to meet cashflow needs.
• Preparing monthly financials, reconciling bank statements and deposits, and entering information into QuickBooks.
• Coordinate and assist with activities related to preparation of the town’s annual audit; provide any information, documentation and/or files which may be requested by the town’s auditor in a timely manner; distribute copies of the annual audit to appropriate state authorities and the public.
• Assist the Town Manager with preparation of the annual operating budget; enter budget figures into QuickBooks at the beginning of each fiscal year.
• Prepare and submit all required reports.
• Provide payroll information to the town’s payroll processing contractor on a bi-monthly basis; ensure proper withholding and payment of federal and state payroll taxes and other deductions, such as report changes in employee withholdings for federal and state income taxes, and changes to insurance coverage (medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, etc.)
Serves as a back-up to the Office Manager on the following responsibilities:
•Receive and process all bills and invoices; submit bills and invoices to the Town Manager for approval prior to payment; obtain authorized signatures on all checks prior to distribution; mail checks to vendors in a timely manner.
• Receive, process, and deposit all receivables (cash, check transactions).
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Position Individual Requirements
• Maintains confidentiality of nonpublic information in all aspects of the job, whether information
relates to people, activities, or plans.
• Exercises initiative, independent judgment, and discretion in fulfilling job duties.
• Maintains positive customer-focused relationships with Commissioners, Town staff, agencies, and all other internal and external customers.
• Consistently demonstrates courteous and professional customer service skills.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
THE TOWN OF COTTAGE CITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
It is our goal to provide applicants and employees with equal employment opportunities in recruitment, hiring, benefits programs, training, promotion, leave practices, rates of pay, and selection for supervisory positions without regard to sex, genetic information, age, race, color, national origin, religion, military/veteran status, or disability.